2 cups rice
4 tablespoon tamarind paste
2 tablespoon split Bengal gram
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup peanuts
1 tablespoon sesame seeds powder
5 dried red chilies
4 sliced green chillis (to taste)
2 teaspoon red chilli powder
1 tablespoon black pepper whole
1/2 tablespoon mustard seeds
1/2 tablespoon turmeric powder
1/4 teaspoon asafetida (hing)
1/4 cup coriander leaves
15 curry leaves
Salt to taste
1. Add 5-6 cups of water and rice in a large bowl and cook until well done.
2. Drain rice from the water and spread out the rice in a wide large bowl.
3. Add turmeric, half of the curry leaves and three tablespoons of oil to the rice and mix it well. Keep it aside.
4. Now, heat remaining oil on low flame in a cooking pan. Add black mustard seeds, split Bengal gram, whole red chillies, red chilli powder, black pepper and peanuts.
5. When the Bengal gram turns light brown, add most of the coriander leaves, remaining curry leaves, asafetida, sliced green chilies and tamarind paste. Stir well. Remove from heat.
6. Add salt and sesame seed powder.
7. Spread this mixture over the bowl containing rice. Mix well.
8. Pour some tamarind rice to one serving plate.
9. Garnish with green coriander leaves.
10. Serve with curd and chutney.
Recipe Servings: 3-4
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Cook Time: 40 mins
Difficulty Level: Easy
About Pulihora Recipe:
Authentic Andhra dish made mainly with rice and tamarind is well cherished for lunch or dinner in a South Indian household. This recipe is ideal for a scrumptious and filling meal.